Monday, March 22, 2010

Proud Mama



Look who learned how to ride a 2 wheeler today!
Yay!!!!

Is it normal to be this excited about an accomplishment like this?

He's tried a few times here and there but hasn't since last fall, until today.

While we were on a walk, Colby was frustrated and must have said, "bikes are stupid," ten times since he couldn't go very fast. When I reminded him that he could go much faster without the training wheels, he was suddenly very motivated.  And about five minutes after removing the training wheels, he was off.

I was a little too excited.  Kinda like when I've been working with a speech student for what seems like forever and they finally make their first correct "r" sound. I scream and clap and pretty much make a fool out of myself as I see the look of "you are psycho" on their face. Riding a bike is a bid deal. And so is saying your "r."



He was pretty darn proud of himself.  And after practicing for a while he went inside to call his daddy to tell him the news.

P.S. Check out my new poll on the right and please vote. I'm just so curious... 

11 comments:

Karla said...

Nice work, Colby!

Shauna said...

It is cool how they all of a sudden get the balance thing and then they can do it for life.

Emily said...

life skill=big moment indeeeeed!!!!!

Alesa Larsen said...

Awesome. I got really excited too. It seems like such a grown up thing to do.

Molly Koch said...

i think this is a huge moment are you kidding me!! i was so dang excited when camers figured out how to ride her 2 wheeler w/ training wheels. (actually i was just happy when she quit being mad b/c she would accidentally push back on the brake and stop over and over). loved talking to you- and troy gave me a maybe on the trip- email me the dates and i may be looking for tickets :) he said he'll see what he can do to make it happen!!! isn't he great!

Amber said...

Oh, I love those moments! When your kid accomplishes something big AND when students get the /r/. I totally make a fool of myself in excitement and have gotten those looks from kids, too. It makes me feel really old and nerdy, but I kind of like that. Oh and sorry, but I love the 'bikes are stupid' comment, that is so cute. HOORAY Colby!

Andrea W. said...

Oh yay for Colby! So exciting. I totally know what you mean about it feeling a tiny bit ridiculous how excited you get, but I'm so the same way. I think that's one of the funnest parts of parenting, just all that excitement over some of life's simple things.

Kelly said...

That's awesome that Colby can ride his bike w/o training wheels. And the "bikes are stupid" comment was funny.I totally understand about the /r/ sound. I have at least 15 students working on the /r/ and when they make it correctly I get so excited. It's the same with Cooper doing something new. Today he walked down a small hill w/o falling down. He got down to the bottom and I clapped and cheered!

Rachel M said...

Of course it's a big moment. I remember the exact moment when I learned to ride a bike. I love watching the "newbies" cruising around the hood like they own it:)

melissa said...

That is so fun!

Barnes said...

So fun!! He now is officially a big boy...Congrats Colby!!