Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Psycho???


How do YOU define psycho? I think true psychoness is when you do psycho things and you don't know it. But when you do psycho things and you do know it, then it's just, well, I'm not sure what to call that. Which brings me to...me.


If you have been hanging around me at all lately, just politely skip this post because you've got to be sooooo sick of this topic by now. Rachel M- please don't read this because I fear you will no longer be my friend.


I have a mild obsession with puppies at the moment. And when I get obsessed about something, I GET OBSESSED. It's really quite unhealthy. But the good thing about my obsessions is that they are usually short-lived. Like photoshop for example. I was totally obsessed with photoshop when I first got it. I spent an insane amount of time on the computer learning it and when I wasn't using it, I was thinking about it, talking about it, and even dreaming about it non-stop. That lasted about 2-3 weeks and then I moved on to a new obsession.

I'm just gonna come out with my story and let everyone know just how psycho I am.


The problem with this puppy obsession is that I love to look and play with puppies until I own one and then I hate it. I know this from first-hand experience since we have gotten 3 puppies. Yes, 3. The first one was before we had kids and was outdoors and didn't cause too much trouble but then she died at 8 months (it wasn't me, I swear). Our second one I fell in love with at the petstore and after about 6 weeks I grew to detest him and we sold him to someone else which ended devastating my husband, hence not the best time in our lives. We got our third one (cocker spaniel) because our neighbors got one and it was the cutest thing I'd ever seen and I thought it could be the greatest dog ever so we got one and after about a month, I officially hated it so it currently resides outdoors again where it doesn't cause me too much trouble. Now I'm back to wanting another puppy even though I know I'll hate it. What is wrong with me? It's like the two halves of my brain aren't speaking the same language and so they just ignore each other.


Here are more details so you can get the big picture. My husband LOVES animals. I could bring home a squirrel and he'd love it till the day it died. I, on the other hand, am pretty indifferent to animals. I do, however, really want a dog that is indoors and a part of the family that we all love. The problem with that is the dog has to be nearly perfect for me to love it. Here's my criteria. No shedding, drooling, barking, biting, chewing, or stinking. I want it to be really cute, smart, easy to train, little and cuddly, but not too lazy. And I'd like it if it never pooped or peed either.* So I'm thinking we'll just keep trying out dogs till we find the right one. Easy, no? But this doesn't fly with the husband. He gets too attached. The kids- maybe a little, but they get over it. Cameron won't get rid of our current dog (which, by-the-way is starting to show signs of being a pretty decent dog. She's still pretty hyper and jumps up on people, but I think she's getting better), but I continue to find myself really wanting that perfect dog that is indoor with us. At least I think I do. I figure it's like dating. With each puppy, I'm learning better what it is that I want. After 3 attempts, now I think I have a pretty good idea of our perfect dog.

So, if I let Cameron keep our current dog, then should I be allowed to try for another one? Does anyone feel like this isn't completely psycho of me? And try to forget that I have a three-month-old baby also. That, in itself, makes me look pretty loony for wanting a puppy. I know my family all thinks I'm insane, but there's got to be someone out there that understands me. I know I'm being psycho, so does that make me less psycho? Anyone?
*Of course I know that puppies, by nature, chew and nip and are hyper, etc. I'm learning that it doesn't last forever and that you just have to get through that part...And I've considered getting a full grown dog that is already trained and such, but it's the puppies I love, for about two minutes anyway.

14 comments:

Cami said...

You crack me up!! I want a dog again every once in a while. Then I watch my neighbors with their dog and remember why I don't want one. Also, the going out of town is always a hassle with a dog. We are just sticking to the new baby here. He is plenty of work by himself. I could not manage a puppy right now. But, I have to say that the Ratchfords new puppy is quite cute.

Kelly said...

I totally understand about the obsession thing. Not about puppies however. When I get obsessed with something I have to do it, get it done, and deal with it every moment until the obsession is gone. Before Cooper was born I desperately had to have a puppy. Paul and I puppy sat for a friend for a whole week and after that I don't think I ever want a dog of my own. Dogs are a lot of work. Maybe you could puppy sit for people to "try out" their dog and see if you want that kind. Good luck with the puppy obsession.

Emily said...

were you dropped on your head as an infant? i'm just wondering! we love you inspite of all this puppy hoopla! good luck my friend, good luck.

Eliza said...

You are hilarious. I love entering your mind, it kills me. I know what you mean about the puppies, I have emotionally distanced myself from them b/c I know I would have the same problem. good luck with that, I have no idea what to tell you. ; )

melissa said...

Holy cow shannon-You make me laugh so hard! I totally am obsessive too though. I still dream about photoshop and I have been doing it forever now. I'm just glad that I don't obesess over puppies! I will love it if you get another puppy just because it will make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

I think maybe a bulldog would be a good fit.

Molly Koch said...

shan- you are crazy. and i mean that from someone who has a degree figuring out crazies! yep, you are one. I will laugh and feel terrible for any poor little puppy you adopt. do you feel the same about kids? just checking!? poor poor poor cam. maybe you should wait on a puppy until poor ty get a little older. you don't want a new puppy nipping at a just crawling/ walking baby. or ty munching on any hidden dog hair. yuck.

Shannon said...

Looks like the general consensus is obvious. Dang it. Doesn't mean I won't go and do what I want anyway.

Unknown said...

Shannon, dogs are stinkier that even poopy-diaper babies! And dogs poop on your floor even when you think they are house-broken, and dog throw-up is worse than baby or kid throw-up; but you know all this. Get a new, cleaner obsession!!!
One who knows you well

Elisha said...

Oh man, I am like your exact OPPOSITE. I REFUSE to get a dog. I'm still cleaning up my 3-year-old's potty off the floor so I'm not about to add doggie pee to the mix.

Shill and Company said...

Not psycho, just funny! I love you. Thanks for making me laugh.

Angie said...

Refer to my last post. I'm having pretty good luck with our new puppy!! She's a very smart toy poodle. Good luck!

Shannon said...

Angie- I've been looking into that same breed! Good to hear you've had some good luck with it.

Amber said...

You are a nut for sure! I don't know what to tell you...I would say don't do it, but I have a feeling you are going to!