Wow- thanks everyone for your comments on my most recent lament! After reading the post about abazillion times, I decided some things should be added.
First. I am not in the corner sucking my thumb all day as my post possibly made it appear. Simply put, I am functioning, just not in a good, positive attitude kind of way right now.
Second. The way I am feeling about my motherly duties right now in no way reflects how I feel about my children. I think, well I hope, that this is obvious, but I needed to clear the air (in case the little ones ever read this some day). Though I may be struggling, I still know that I am doing the right thing and that I don't regret the choices I've made to start and raise a family. Will I possibly take a different approach? Maybe. Will I continue to stay at home all day? Maybe not. Will I continue to keep having lots of children? Don't hold your breath. And even during this little "phase," and especially after I posted the rant, there have been plenty of moments in which I have been quietly reminded of why I am a mom (mostly when the kids are sleeping of course...). I can't say those moments have made the not-so-fun ones much better yet, but I'm working on it!
Third. I've really been contemplating why it is I posted such a thing. Was I fishing for compliments? Do I need some attention? Did I think I was the only one who's ever felt this way? I think I can answer no to all those questions. Honestly, I think the reason I vented for others to read was because I sorta wish everyone was a little more open about their struggles. I've always been a pretty open book which can be good or bad. I'm the first to tell you that I've broken several things in my house out of anger, or that I've been to counseling (and it was awesome!), or that I'm desperately trying to get my 5-month-old to sit in front of the TV and be entertained by Baby Einstein videos, or that I'll readily cry at the grocery store if they are out of something I need. I know, I'm a freak show. And though it makes me sad to hear that others struggle as well, there is some comfort in knowing there are lots of others who have gone or are going through the same thing.
Fourth. The pressures I listed are pressures I feel, not necessarily all the things I'm trying to do. Like scrapbooking. I gave up on that a long time ago (which is why I blog). But I have to admit, that I still can't help thinking that I might regret not scrapbooking. And these pressures are not necessarily brought on by other people, mostly just myself. I don't feel the pressure to can because everyone else seems to, it's because I love having all of our garden produce stored and I can't stand the thought of waste.
So there you have it. Thanks again for all the advice and empathetic words- they brought me to tears. Good tears.
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Melt-down follow-up
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
Of course you weren't fishing. It's so hard to be in your own little world, doing all of these mundane things and not get a little down about it. It's also very easy to think you're the only one feeling this way. You said it very nicely. Here's my way. Misery loves company. Not that you want anyone else to be miserable. It's just nice to know you're not alone. We all have to go into survival mode sometimes. It's ok. This too shall pass...just like kidney stones. :)
I just read and commented on your last post. I appreciate your honesty. If you didn't notice, I am definitely not a good 'faker' and seem to tell it like it is. Remember when we were in grad school, panic attacks and all, and would dream of these stay-at-home-mom days? Wanna audit some classes together? Come on, it would be a great cover up for some time away...No tests required, no grades, and we can skip out early for Caputo's whenver we'd like. You gotta admit, it's tempting!
Shannon! I just read your last two posts and I just want you to know that you always entertain me, brighten my day, and make me feel SO much better! I LOVE your honesty. And, I completely feel the same way. I was nodding and agreeing with pretty much everything. And there is just something about knowing that others share the same feelings. I am definitely there with you on the GUILT. Let's face it, being a mom is hard. I still remember being so scared to serve a mission and asking Jen (my sister) if it was the hardest thing she'd ever done. She said, "no, being a mom is". I didn't get it then, but I completely do now. It is tough...and I do feel that it is the hardest thing I've ever done. Sometimes we need breaks....like a Park City getaway...can't wait to hang out with you!
Shannon, I just read your 2 posts and I just want you to know that I LOVE YOU! I think you are the most amazing person and friend and mother. I totally feel the same way but never have the courage or good enough writing skills to get it down in writing. Instead of writing, I just go to my corner and work on photoshop to escape! I sometimes feel these overwhelming feelings of regret and guilt and I get so scared that I will look back to these years and wish I had done it all differently. I usually feel this way after I have just put the kids to bed and have been super inpatient and mean to them. I love your honesty and I admire you for it. It has been hard for me to even write this tiny bit because I guess I don't like people to know my weaknesses. Being a mother really is the hardest work there is. I think we sometimes need to be a little easier on ourselves.
i love you. and instead of leaving some long message. i will just be calling you. just as soon as i can get a second away from my two terrors. because you know you are not alone in this with me. i love talking to you. gosh this made me miss you. keep it real. i love love love it.
Shannon, you are awesome and amazing. It takes a lot of guts to admit your weakenesses. We all have them. We just choose to hide in a corner and suck our thumbs about it. :) I am right there with ya girl. Being a mom is a tough job, and I'm afraid I will have more regrets than happy memories if I don't get out of the corner. I love ya girl! Thanks for all you have done for me.
Post a Comment