5 DAYS OF STUTTERING, PORTLAND SITE SEEING AND PRECIOUS TIME TO MYSELF!
Beware, I am long-winded when it comes to talking about stuttering...
The one thing I keep telling people about my trip to Portland is that, IT WAS THE BEST! I went for a 5 day workshop on "Assessment and Treatment of Stuttering for Children." To the average person, this may sound like a boring trip, but if you're a nerd like me about the subject of stuttering, it was anything but boring.
I was incredibly lucky to have even had this opportunity. I applied back in March to be one of 20 Speech Language Pathologists to attend this workshop that is put on by the National Stuttering Foundation (SFA). Unlike other continuing education opportunities, you had to be accepted to this workshop since it is completely paid for. They even paid for our housing and food, which I considered to be more than a $1000 "gift."
Because we were in class from 8:30 to 5:00 everyday I didn't think we'd have much time to do anything extra-curricular. Well, I had forgotten a small detail which is, when you don't have small children to look after, 5:00 till bedtime is A LOT of time! I feel like I got to see Portland backwards and forwards! Not really, but I saw and did a ton. And beyond my site seeing, I was able to read a whole novel, exercise everyday and I still managed to get about 8 hours of sleep every night. To make a long story short, this trip was an overdue, much needed chance for me to have some time to myself. I know it sounds selfish, but now that I'm back, I really think I'll be a better mom. And if it weren't for Cameron's willingness to stay home with the kids, I wouldn't have been able to do this. Thanks babe, I love you!!
Besides the time to myself, I got to learn a ton about stuttering, my vocational passion. A few more fun things about the trip is that we all got to be good friends, we were treated like royalty, we were given several gifts and we got to meet the president of the SFA. I'm all excited about stuttering treatment again and am hoping to pursue providing treatment privately for a few children who stutter.
The one thing I keep telling people about my trip to Portland is that, IT WAS THE BEST! I went for a 5 day workshop on "Assessment and Treatment of Stuttering for Children." To the average person, this may sound like a boring trip, but if you're a nerd like me about the subject of stuttering, it was anything but boring.
I was incredibly lucky to have even had this opportunity. I applied back in March to be one of 20 Speech Language Pathologists to attend this workshop that is put on by the National Stuttering Foundation (SFA). Unlike other continuing education opportunities, you had to be accepted to this workshop since it is completely paid for. They even paid for our housing and food, which I considered to be more than a $1000 "gift."
Because we were in class from 8:30 to 5:00 everyday I didn't think we'd have much time to do anything extra-curricular. Well, I had forgotten a small detail which is, when you don't have small children to look after, 5:00 till bedtime is A LOT of time! I feel like I got to see Portland backwards and forwards! Not really, but I saw and did a ton. And beyond my site seeing, I was able to read a whole novel, exercise everyday and I still managed to get about 8 hours of sleep every night. To make a long story short, this trip was an overdue, much needed chance for me to have some time to myself. I know it sounds selfish, but now that I'm back, I really think I'll be a better mom. And if it weren't for Cameron's willingness to stay home with the kids, I wouldn't have been able to do this. Thanks babe, I love you!!
Besides the time to myself, I got to learn a ton about stuttering, my vocational passion. A few more fun things about the trip is that we all got to be good friends, we were treated like royalty, we were given several gifts and we got to meet the president of the SFA. I'm all excited about stuttering treatment again and am hoping to pursue providing treatment privately for a few children who stutter.
Here we are kayaking in the Columbia River
Eating my final Portland meal at a place called McCormick and Schmick's. Salmon to die for!
Checking out "Sand in the City" at Pioneer Square in Downtown Portland during our lunch break.





0 comments:
Post a Comment