Thursday, July 05, 2007

W-L, Weaver Lane is Here







Girls Camp 2007!!!
Beehives, cheers, mosquitoes, leaches, and more mosquitoes.
Last week I got to spend 3 1/2 days at Lake Lyman with my cute young women. It is seriously gorgeous up there, but don't be fooled by the glassy lake, it is for looks only as it is full of leaches. There were a few girls who obviously haven't seen the movie, "Stand By Me" and actually jumped in for a quick swim. Of course, they had been backpacking for 2 days without any bathroom arrangements and by then, anything went. There were times when that lake looked so glassy, that I would have considered a quick ski if I had a boat.
Spending a few days with just teenage girls is an experience like no other. We played hours of psychologist, mafia, and press conference, sang a billions camp songs, and swatted more mosquitoes than you can ever imagine. One poor girl had 24 mosquito bites just on her face. I actually think I like the smell of mosquito repellent now.
We had our share of drama like anyone would expect at girls camp, but in the end, I think it was a great experience for all. It was very cool to see most of the girls recognize feelings of the spirit, some of them for the first time ever.
Cameron got to take work off to be with the little ones for the whole camp. He even gave me flowers when I got home- he REALLY must have missed me. What a good sport- he gets to do it all over again next week when I go to Portland, only this time, it's for 6 days.

0 comments: