Sunday, November 23, 2008

spuds and even more spuds, please

The best holiday of the year is just a short 4 days away. Each and every Thanksgiving bite is pure deliciousness. I can't think of one single thing I don't like about that beloved feast. (My poor mom doesn't like Turkey- what a very sad, sad thing). However, I have decided to rank the usual Thanksgiving dishes in order of yumminess with #1 being the most yummy and savory and good and make-me-sick-with-multiple-helpings (I'm pretty sure I have shed tears when finding that we were out of #1 before I got a second helping).

For fun. Because I'm bored. And because I like lists and this helps me to visualize how much of each dish I should take.

8. sweet potatoes
7. pie
6. fruit salad
5. corn or whatever veggie
4. turkey
3. rolls
2. stuffing
1. mashed potatoes and gravy

This year, we're headed to Cameron's family's for the big day. I always look forward to their traditional noodles and broth over mashed potatoes. It sounds odd, but is surprisingly good. What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish and does your family do anything unique? I'm thinking of trying this yummy-looking corn and wild rice dish featured on PW cooks for something different this year. Oh, and one more question. Do you save your favorite part of a meal for last or do you gobble it up first? I always thought that saving the best for last was just the natural thing to do until I married Cameron. He starts with his favorite and works his way down. This makes no sense to me. I remember making the conscious decision in preschool when given a cup full of raisins, peanuts and m&ms. I felt it wise to start with the m&ms, proceed to the peanuts, then savor each and every raisin. Alright, I see a few flaws in this procedure. By the time you get to your favorite, you run the risk of being too full to fully enjoy it or it is cold when it's supposed to be hot and visa versa (sp?). It doesen't matter. The risk is worth taking. Give it a try, won't ya? And while you're at it, don't find out the sex of your next baby. My ways are the best ways.

3 comments:

Kurt and Tami said...

You crack me up. Thanksgiving is Kurt's favorite holiday also. He keeps telling me that he's going to build a life size version of the First Thanksgiving complete with Pilgrims and Indians sitting down to feast at a large table to put in our front yard. Kind of like all of the large lawn decorations that people use at Christmas. My favorites are Kurt's rolls, sweet potato casserole, and pecan and apple pies. Yum!

Andrea W. said...

You are a funny, funny writer. You also got me very excited for Thanksgiving and all the yummy food!

A STAR is born said...

I totally do your save-the-best-for-last thing. Like with hamburgers: I eat in a circle so the middle is perfectly proportioned.
However, I need to stop doing this because I can't eat as much as I used to and I end up too full by the end.

PS Corn and wild rice? What the heck? Are you trying to pull some sort of beef brisket on Christmas Eve stunt? STICK WITH TRADITION.