Saturday, November 14, 2009

Super!

Is it just me or did the word "super" make a comeback in the last decade or so?  Or maybe it's just that I've passed the age where you are forbidden to use it, say, age 14-27 with a few exceptions of course, like if you're an elementary school teacher, a clown, Barnie, or gay.  Though I've never been a big fan of the word, somehow it has snuck back into my vocabulary in the last few years and even takes me by surprise when it come floating from my mouth.

It wasn't until last week that I've decided to retire it completely from my vernacular (and have since decided that I can start using the word "vernacular") when I used it unsuccessfully while eating at a restaurant with some friends. The conversation went something like this.

Me: What is super popular here?
Server: Uh, we have all kinds like Chicken and wild rice...
Me: No, I mean, what is REALLY popular here?
Server. Well, most people really like the French Onion, but the Minestroni is good too.
Me.  Uh, thanks.  I'll just get the Red Robin burger please.

I'm pretty sure our server was in the 17-21 age range. Now if I can just get "oh rats" to catch on again.

7 comments:

Amber said...

You mean, 'oh rats' isn't in? I use that on a daily basis. My kids even say it. Hmmm. And 'super', I'm pretty sure I use that one too. I'm really going to have to watch my vernacular around you. And no, I've never used 'vernacular' before in my life. Did I use it correctly?? I am SO out of it!

Amanda said...

I can't stop laughing! That was so funny!!

cpace said...

"Oh rats" is my clinician phrase. It's the only phrase that works when doing therapy and the "Go Fish" game is getting really competitive and I'm hoping for a snake but instead I get the snail. It might not be cool but it sometimes makes the kids smile. Or maybe they are just smiling because they are winning?

melissa said...

Man, it has been a little while since I have checked your blog. Such good stuff! I just love the big post about Kara, what a little cutie.

Rachel M said...

My mom loves "for real". She has a stroke every time someone says it. I should get you two together sometime:)

Karla said...

I'm doing my best to bring in "Oh, Rats!" I love that phrase because it can't be mistaken for some other real swear word if someone doesn't hear me properly...you know, gosh and freak just don't quite have that luxury. And for some reason, I've noticed lately that I've been saying "super". I am so not cool.

Jen said...

My best friend says "oh rats!" all the time! It's kinda funny though cuz no one else that I know of at my school says it. This girl is great because she says a lot of things that the average 15-year-old doesn't say, such as "phoo!" or "phooey!" and the like. PS this is from Allie not Jen :) in case you didn't already figure that out:-)