Thursday, April 08, 2010

Easter and our first outing.

What is the deal with Easter Egg Hunts? Can I just say they are L.A.M.E. It's more like... Easter Egg whoever's- the-pushiest-and-fastest-and-meanest-kids-gets-all-the-eggs event.

Hundreds of kids gathered around a field with haphazardly tossed eggs dotting the damp, muddy grass.  After a quick countdown the kids shove their way through the crowd to get their greedy little hands on as many eggs as they can, all lasting about 15 seconds. Colby may be small, but he's quick and actually ended up with a few eggs. After losing Kara for a few minutes, I found her walking aimlessly with a few candies in her basket that she claimed some nice people gave her. And when we met up with our darling neighbor's kids, we found them with huge grins on their faces and empty baskets because they are the sweetest kids ever and at ages 6 and 4, already know the true meaning of Easter and it has nothing to do with candy filled Easter eggs. But, I was proud of my little squirts when they gave up half of their eggs (which was 2) to their friends without any questions asked. Meanwhile there were tons of kids bawling for one reason or another. Good times.

I don't mean to hate on Kaysville city or anything- I mean, they're just trying to provide a nice, family activity for us tax-paying citizens. Okay, maybe we're not Kaysville residents, but they never said anything about it being restricted to just Kaysvilleites. We just heard that Kaysville city had bigger and better eggs. Ha ha. I'm just kidding. Anyway.

Now at Grandpa horsies' house, the eggs are actually hidden. And you have to look for them. And there are only 6 or 7 kids. And it lasts for at least 10 minutes, except when Grandpa keeps taking eggs out of the kids' baskets while they're not looking and re-hiding them just so he can make the hunt last as long as possible. Now that's an egg hunt.  But I think because of the weather, he opted out of one this year.

This outing was all in honor of our first year anniversary of our outing sebatical. I haven't taken my kids anywhere fun (unless you'd count the grocery store trip that ends up in tears and time-outs fun) for literally an ENTIRE YEAR.

With that said, we did it and despite the egg hunt lameness, we had a great time!  Here's to more outings to come. I'm shooting for maybe 2 outings a year now...

Check out the loot! Um, yah-totally worth it.




Ty in his stroller wishing he could be part of the choas.


We dyed Easter eggs that afternoon.









This the fort the kids sat under to "watch" conference. It was fun while it lasted- about 6 minutes or so.



I forgot to take more pictureson Easter morning. Besideds Cameron being gone, we had a nice day. I love hearing from our prophet and the apostles and I think the kids actually understood what Easter is all about this year. I wasn't sure until we were driving home from the egg hunt and they started chanting, "Jesus died for u-us!" It was...cute? I wasn't sure how to react to that except I thought it was cute and funny and pretty much hilarious.

We also had a very nice dinner at my brother's house. It was especially nice because we had my brother with us who's been sick and is doing so much better. I LOVE my family and I love that we get along so well and I cherish these times we have together.

4 comments:

Macy said...

Your kids are so darling, Shannon. It was so great to see you yesterday. Let's do it again soon.

Amber said...

I agree, egg 'hunts' can be mean. Last year Dan took the girls while I worked and they came back with...NOTHING! Just tear-streaked faces. At our family hunt the followng day, Dan taught Ella how to push her way through and gave her her first lesson on lookin' out for number one...She actually knocked a couple cousins over and may have stolen some from the younger kids...this year though, she did great! I'm glad your kids were more focused on the true meaning of Easter. I tried throwing that out there while we were pounding the mounds of candy she acquired, not too effective probably. Happy Easter!

Amber said...

p.s. I'm really glad you aren't moving.

Unknown said...

Hey Shannon, there is another Easter egg hunt in Fruit Heights tomorrow (the 10th) I saw a sign for it on my walk last night. Maybe your kids would do better there since it is a week after Easter.
What do you mean a year without an outing, what about Disneyland, bearlake and pineview to just mention a few?