Saturday, April 03, 2010

My Baby is One!



Dear Ty,
Today is your first birthday. One year since you joined our family on that highly anticipated night of April 2009 and boy, what a ride this last year has been. As a one year old, the most prominant thing about you is this: You know what you want. And you'll go to great lengths to get it. Though this may drive your mom and dad crazy at times, I believe this will be your most valuable attribute.  In the future, I see you as determined, ambitious, strong.

You are smart. I think this is why you refused to take a binky.  You knew that it was just a fake and you weren't one to be fooled. This is why you refused to drink from a bottle for a long time. Again, you knew what you wanted, and it wasn't what I was giving you. 

You are careful. You don't dive into just anything. You take your time, slowly reassuing yourself that it will be okay. We thought you'd be a picky eater when you spit out everything we put in your mouth. But as you've allowed yourself to venture out, you are becoming more and more versatile.

You are very sensitive. You've had a sensitive little system from the beginning. Constant diaper rash, reflux and an upset tummy. It doesn't take much to make you upset. It also doesn't take much to make you smile and giggle. Even when you were tiny, a simple click of the tongue brought a grin to your face. You love to be tossed around, play peek-a-boo and most of all, you LOVE to have your head/neck/face/back tickled. I believe your sensitivity will help you to be a kind brother, a good friend, and a great husband someday.

You are trying really hard to communicate. You sign "milk" all day long and would suck on that bottle 24 hours a day if we let you. You love to say "uh-oh" and will purposely drop things over and over so you can repeat it. You also say "all done" and "up" along with all kinds of jabbering that makes it sound like you're talking in sentences.

You love your brother and sister. And in return, they adore you back. Whenever we say goodnight to you, Colby says, "You're awesome! You're the best little brother in the whole world!"  You two are close. We can tell you take after Colby and your daddy because boy, can you crawl! You're quick and you're coordinated. Kara loves to tote you around and loves to mother you just like her dolls. Even after a year, Colby and Kara still ask to hold you all the time.

You're just so darn cute. Those eyes kill me. So big and so expressive. I still can't leave you for very long without longing to kiss your round little cheecks, hear your infectious little giggle, and watch you excitedly crawl as fast as you can to me so I'll pick you up. 

We are so grateful you are in our family. Your sweet, determined spirit adds so much life to our home and I know you will do great things. Happy Birthday little monkey. We love you!!

Love, Mom



































3 comments:

Hydes said...

Happy Birthday cute little Ty!!!

Kurt and Tami said...

He's such a cute boy!

Amber said...

That was the fastest year ever! I'm pretty sure I say that every year but I really can't believe he is one! He is so cute, I love his mystery color eyes, too. I wish I would have hired Elisha when Henry was brand new. Those pictures are priceless!