Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Few Firsts

Kara is in that stage of life where lots of "firsts" are happening. I thought I'd share her latest.

1. FEEDING HERSELF
Today, she decided she wanted to feed herself with a spoon for the fist time. She actually did a good job. Besides the tremendous mess, it's so nice when your toddler starts feeding themselves so you can give everyone their food and finally all eat at the same time.
2. CHOKING

In the same sitting just shortly after her self-feeding triumph, Kara began choking on a cracker. This is actually a first for me since Colby has never choked. It gave me a good scare, but after doing a little mini Heimlich and hitting her on her back, it quickly came out. So...looks like she's ready to feed herself with a spoon, but not ready to eat Wheat Thins. Sorry, no picture of this event.

3. DOUBLE PONIES

I may be the only one that thinks double pony tails qualify to grace Kara's "firsts" list. But I think most moms of girls would agree that this is a very exciting milestone. I almost wanted to cry when I was able to get a good share of her hair into ponies because it makes her look like such a little girl, and was so dang cute. And then to see how much Cameron loved her double ponies. I definitely think it is list worthy.
4. REAL WORDS

Just in the last week, Kara has begun to use several real words. She says "mama", "daddy", "pee" for puppy, "doggy," "baby", "eye" and an occasional "more". She also says "woof- woof," at least her version which sounds a little more like grunting. She also attempts to snort like a pig which is the funniest thing in the world to watch. She opens her mouth really wide and then makes this tiny little sound with her tongue in the back of her mouth. She is starting to attempt to imitate us, especially Colby a lot. This could be a really good thing, or a really bad thing. Which brings me to my Colby.

While Colby doesn't have as many "firsts" in such a small amount of time anymore, he is trying lots of things for the first time and, as usual, is always spouting new sentences out that we hear for the first time. This week, Colby began his first swimming lessons. He has done much better than I expected since he can be very hesitant to interact with people he doesn't know.
Today's lesson didn't go quite as well since he had a major meltdown about who-knows-what before we came and he still wasn't quite over it. When he first got in the pool, he kept splashing his teacher in the face. I'm sure this was just delightful for her. The following picture is of Colby refusing to get back in the water.
And this is after I forgot to bring a towel and dry clothes and I didn't want Colby to get the car-seat wet. I'm such an on-top-of-it mom.

Colby has also begun to use slang for the first time. Last week when I told him we were going to the lake and his cousins would be there he said, "That will be so flipping fun!" And sometimes the slang isn't in the correct context like when he said during dinner a few weeks ago, "I'm so freakin eating." I obviously really need to start watching what I say since Colby is starting to go public with his language. He's also starting to use things he's heard me say to his advantage. For example: The other day I asked him to return something to the next-door neighbors which he does all the time. This time he didn't want to and when I asked him why he wouldn't, he said, "because I'm shy." Yikes!

Well, if you've stuck with me through this lengthy email then, well, you have too much time on your hands and you care way to much about my kids. Till next time...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me laughing out loud! That was a great post. And while I don't have a whole lot of time on my hands, I do CARE a ton about your kids! I'm amazed that Kara is already feeding herself. Actually I'm feeling a little worried since Ryan STILL can't feed himself! He's smart, but very uncoordinated.

Macy said...

Such cute kids , Shannon. I remember Lucy's first pig tails too...such a moment. Kara looks darling. Makes me sad to see how big your kids have gotten , it has been ages since I have seen you. We need to get together!!

Shannon said...

Macy,
I was wondering if that baby had come yet. I'm assuming not- hang in there! I can't wait to come see your new addition-hope you're feeling okay.

A STAR is born said...

Those pig tails. They're killin me, man! For a split second--microscopic, infinitesimally small--I thought how fun it would be to have a cute little girl with pig tails. Stop that!

Shannon said...

Stef, don't ignore those fleeting thoughts no matter how microscopic they may be. Miraculously, it actually IS fun to have a little girl with pig tails despite what that OTHER voice may be telling you. Confucius predicts another big change in your future...

A STAR is born said...

Sick.