Thursday, November 15, 2007

No Second Chances

I was watching the news this morning and happened to catch a report on this guy in Florida who's execution for molesting and murdering a 9 year old boy was halted by the supreme court. While I know this is far from the first time this sort of thing has happened, for some reason it has struck a chord in me this morning, big time. I've always been in favor of the death penalty and hearing this has made me so angry. If you have not seen the news report, the supreme court has issued him a "stay" because they think it's unconstitutional that this man should receive such a cruel, inhumane and unusual punishment. Oh. Never mind that this sick creep completed an act so beyond cruel and inhumane and sadly, not all that unusual anymore. Not so unusual anymore precisely because we're so good at not following through with what an appropriate punishment (or at least as close to appropriate as we're allowed to be- my idea would definitely be more on the cruel side...) should be. I don't know the details about this type of lethal injection that is done in Florida, and frankly, I don't really care. As long as it does the job, it's fine with me. And I know in the very end that everything will be just. But I just can't help but want them to suffer here just as they have made so many others suffer. Does that make me a heartless, inhumane person?

Why is it that these scum bags should be given any kind of second chance? I think, one kind of sexual or murderous offence and sorry, you're done. There are just some choices that I believe do not deserve a second chance. We all know the percentage of sexual predators that offend not just a second time, but over and over again, is insanely high. Airline companies (and I'm sure many others) have adopted a zero percent tolerance for drug and alcohol usage when on the clock. One offense and your done. Why can't our nation adopt a zero percent policy for sexual offenders? I know, I know, this is assuming, of course, that the offender is fairly tried and convicted. That is a whole different argument. And don't even get me started on the death penalty actually occurring decades after the crime was committed. I know this topic tends to be somewhat controversial, but I'm obviously quite passionate about it. Anyone else?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm totally with you 100%. I want these people to suffer so badly for these horrible crimes. The only thing is I think that the death penalty is like an "easy out." I would think that it would be far more horrible to stay in jail the rest of his life than die a quick death. So I'm almost for him NOT being put to death and throwing him to the bullies in prison--let them have at him.

A STAR is born said...

I'm just happy knowing they'll get what they deserve in the afterlife. And for that reason, why not send them there sooner? I like the idea of them being in jail, but our jails are crowded and I tend to think they make more associations in prison--learn new tricks, find friends, etc--that they use when they get out. Plus, is prison really that bad? For a low life like that, they probably love the free ride with exercise equipment and tv all day long. (No, I've never been to jail. But I watch movies).
So while I would like to castrate them and send them to Hell, I think maybe revenge is not our job. Give 'em the chair, says I!

Shannon said...

Glad you both agree with me, I was nervous to see responses. Cameron and I had this discussion today and I said almost exactly the same thing as you, Stef. Send them to hell sooner so that my tax money can stop paying for these creeps to get a college education and free food. True, lethal injection is probably too easy, they should suffer more.

Molly Koch said...

after knowing what i know from a kids point of view from investigating these... you know where I stand!

Anonymous said...

True...I hadn't thought about my tax dollars supporting them in prison. And true...they WILL get what they deserve in the afterlife. I'm glad you're the one that mentioned castration, Stef. I was going to, but didn't know if it was appropriate. :)

A STAR is born said...

You can ALWAYS count on me to mention the inappropriate.