Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Nursery is bliss



A few weeks ago, our little Kara turned 18 months. The Mormons out there will appreciate the significance of this milestone for toddlers. At 18 months, we are relieved of our parenting duties for a sweet and precious hour and 45 minutes which is then delegated to our beloved nursery "volunteers." No longer do we have to entertain, feed, or fight with our toddler while still trying get some sort edification from our teachers, which is nearly impossible.

Last Sunday Kara went to nursery for the first time. I wondered if she'd comply with this new idea and hoped she'd handle it like her brother who couldn't push us out his nursery door fast enough. We brought her to the room and put her down. She looked at her new surroundings and hesitated for a moment, lifting her arms toward me. I turned her around long enough to disappear from her sight and before we knew it, she was distracted by the room full of toys. I quickly left, but felt a return was needed to see how she was adapting. I peeked in the little door window only to find her sitting on a chair at the mini table with all the other little kids doing a puzzle. Not missing me at all. Tears instantly welled up in my eyes. I hurried back to Sunday school trying to distract myself. I took one look at Cameron and started crying. What?! I am not one of those mothers who blubbers as her kids grow up! Well, it appears as though I most certainly am. I just couldn't believe that my baby was old enough to be sitting with "friends" doing a puzzle! And when we went to pick her up, she was happy as could be. I'm sure the snacks were the factor that sealed the deal. Though I anticipated the nursery day to come, I am sad that the time is actually here, just as I'm sure there will be a mix of bitter-sweet emotions as my children continue to reach significant and not-so-significant milestones in their lives.
And as more evidence that Kara is certainly growing up, she said her first 2 word utterance yesterday, clear as a bell and has repeated it over and over since. She said, "Hi Colby!" Lately, everything as been Colby this, and Colby that. There's no doubt she loves her brother.

5 comments:

Molly Koch said...

these pictures are beautiful! i love them. your kids are so dang cute i can't wait to see them. i am so jealous that your kids just stay in nursery... it took braden almost 6 mo to stay on his own... and he is now the terror of the nursery. they try to bribe him with candy to not hit and steal toys- and have even put him in his own room with some toys. so sad! enjoy your nursery bliss!

Hydes said...

I can't believe how fast our little girls are growing up. I swear we were just pregnant. I cried when Porter went to nursery and I am sure I will do the same in a month when Bella goes too. Kara looks absolutely darling in her pictures. LOVE IT!!!

Barnes said...

Good to know that your's didn't cry for you. I was crying because mine didn't want to be left. So glad that Kara is in the same nursery class! It's crazy that just 18 months ago we were just put into YW together and wondering if it would work and here we are making it work, wondering what to do with ourselves.
Way cute pictures of the kids.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that post made me want to start crying as well! I didn't cry when Ryan went into nursery, though, because he never actually went without us for a good 6 months. So by the time he was fine going by himself, I was more than ready!

The Ratchford Family said...

Those are the cutest pictures of Kara. That little sweetheart is so darn easy of course she went right into nursery. I am jealous. But I do have a crazy crawling 8 month old you can have during church if you miss her.