Sunday, June 08, 2008

8.8.08

Two short months, I can hardly wait
the games begin, 8.8.08


Flips and jumps, strength beyond measure
The most dynamic sport, no doubt a real treasure


Just Summer Olympics can satiate
my need and hunger for a sport so great


Takes place in Beijing, two weeks of pure bliss
The summer games I'd rather die than miss




I thought I'd introduce my new countdown with a quick poem (inspired by Mrs. Evelyn L. Ryan from the book I just recently finished called The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio. I highly recommend this read). If the Olympics were holding a contest, do you think I'd win?

I guess you could say that I am crazy obsessed with the Summer Olympics. Pretty sure tears have been shed over missing the beginning of an Olympic gymnastics competition and traffic laws have definitely been broken by trying to get to a place that had decent television reception. For two weeks I put my life on hold and I am consumed with the competition. Why do I love it so much? I don't really know. Surely it has to do with the fact that I once thought I had a real shot at the 1996 Summer Olympics myself. At least as a twelve-year-old girl, that was what I was working for, four hours a day, five days a week.

I am obviously partial to the gymnastics, but I also can't get enough swimming, diving or track. Just typing about this is getting me gitty. The good news this year is that I get to enjoy the Olympics with a DVR! No longer do I have to neglect any and all responsibility to see who conquers the gold. No longer will I stress and fret about what event I may be missing or if my VCR is really recording. Thank you DVR, for my Olympic experience in 2008 will be that much sweeter. And maybe the Summer Olympics won't be quite as dreaded by my husband...



P.S. Pictures from New York to come soon

7 comments:

Cami said...

I am laughing hysterically reading this because my day has consisted of sitting on the couch watching men's gymanstics and yes I too become a zombie in watching. I remember countless summer nights of me and my mom at 2 am watching some random sport. It is awesome! And I am desperately missing my SYTYCD buddies, Josh has had to fill in and I don't think he is very pleased. - Cami

Rachel M said...

Man, I thought I was an Olympics fan. I should be pretty much huge and couch-bound by then so maybe I'll keep you compnay in my end-of-pregnancy-vegetative state. Can't wait to see pics of NY!

Shauna said...

I love your poem, I love the Olympics too. It will be fun discussing the book.

Karla said...

I'll have to join you to watch gymnastics! Jer will rarely go for gymnastics (or figure skating in winter), if there is anything else even remotely interesting on t.v. "How to do Underwater Basket-Weaving" would probably qualify as something else even remotely interesting!

Andrea W. said...

Shannon, Love the poem! I'm so glad to know that someone else shares the depth of love I have for the Olympics. I honestly LOVE them. I had an Olympic themed birthday party when I was a kid and have had one for one of my kids. I can't get enough!

Emily said...

I loved that book!! Have you seen the movie? It was very enjoyable! And I would love to see your mad tumbling skills at the part sometime!!!

Amber said...

I don't think they're having a contest but I think you should submit your poem anyway--just send it in and see what happens, it's great! I am not a gymnast at all, in fact I grew up barely able to do a summersault, but I do love watching the Olympics! And look, you gave me another book recommendation, thanks!