This may be the longest post ever posted so please proceed at your own discretion. You're sure to find massive amounts of pictures and description, most of which may bore you to tears. I promise I won't be offended if you just skip this post because like Amy Rosenthal said in her book, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, "in the end, no one really wants to hear about your trip." But of course I am dying to talk about it to whoever will listen and of course to document our splendors since this blog is my scrapbook. With that lovely introduction, our little tale begins like this...
I finally made it out of the country! And besides Cameron's mission to Korea, this was his first time also. Like all our trips, we decided less than one week before leaving that we were going to give it shot. My sister agreed to take both the kids for the entire time in return of us watching her kids so she and Rich could finally go on vacation.
Delta added a direct flight to Paris in February. Since then Cameron and I have talked about going, but never really thought it was possible, at least not so soon, until we found out the flight was being cut back in October. This was our last chance to go. With very little time to even plan what we'd do once we got there, we tried for the Saturday flight and failed. Since we had all the arrangements made to be gone for nearly a week we decided that we'd go somewhere else. Flights were terribly full to almost everywhere so we just went home. Even though the flight to Paris looked worse than the day before, we decided at the last minute to go try again on Sunday. You never know when flying standby. We barely said goodbye to the kids and Cameron even told them, "we'll be back in a few hours." Well, we weren't. Miraculously, we were on our way to Paris!! And seriously, it was a miracle. The flight was oversold and they were asking for volunteers to give up their tickets. We've learned when flying standby to never leave the gate until that plane is taxing out to the runway. The flight was full and there were still 2 standby passengers ahead of us with more seniority. Right before the doors were closed, the gate agent yelled our names and told us to hurry up, cause we were on the flight. They whisked us so fast, I didn't have time to think. I had to hide my phone in the airplane just to text my sister that we got on. We're not sure how 2 seats magically appeared and the 2 people in front of us left the gate when we all thought the airplane was full. It did not hit me until the plane was taking off that we were actually going to Paris- a dream of ours since we got married.
The flight was not fun. Despite taking a sleeping pill, I barely slept 30 minutes in my tiny little middle seat (not that I'm complaining or anything) during the 10 hour flight. We arrived in Paris at about 3:00 in the morning, Utah time, but were pretty stoked that we were there. We had no place to stay. We didn't speak French. And we didn't know how to get out of the airport. After nearly 3 hours trying to use the Internet, make a phone call, asking mean people questions, being frustrated out of our minds, and maybe a few tears from Cameron (all right of course it was me), we finally got ourselves on the train to go to a hotel that we hoped existed, but had no reservations for. After all this, I still had the energy to shop at the first store we saw that was actually in the Metro station and I bought something! My mood started to brighten slightly.

We got off the wrong Metro station and walked for what seemed like miles with all our baggage until we got to the Hotel. It was one I had found on the Internet at home. We didn't have a reservation since we didn't think we'd actually make it there. Thank goodness it was vacant and we able to book it for the next 3 nights. It was bare bones, but all you need in Paris is a place to sleep and shower, right?

Quickly after changing clothes, we headed out. After not sleeping for nearly 24 hours and being frustrated to tears and walking up set after set of these stairs, 
I encountered my first little "taste" of Paris.

A
jambone and
fromage (ham and cheese) crepe.
Already, I was in heaven. Shortly after, we saw this.

The
Sacre-
Coeur Basilique, or Church of the Sacred Heart.
And that was all it took for me to be in love. A crepe and the most beautiful church I had ever seen. Paris was my new favorite place.



This is the view of Paris from the church. This actually ended up being my favorite place of the whole trip. Maybe it's because it was the first thing I saw and maybe it's because it was around the most quaint part of Paris that we went. Little streets with people wanting to paint your portrait and tons of crepe stands. What is better than that?
After making our way down all the steps, we got on the train for more site seeing.

We bought a 3-day metro/train pass and definitely got our money's worth. We rode that thing nearly 20 times a day. That metro system is amazing. I don't think we waited for a train more than 3 minutes ever.
We saw the grande palace the petite palace, walked along the Seine river, all on the way to the Eiffel tour

We saw somebody do this we we copied them.

The Eiffel tour was amazing and of course, so awesome to see in person. After this, we headed to the Arc de Triomphe.

This is Cameron's most triumphant pose.
We headed home pretty early that night to get some much needed rest. The next day, we headed to the Louvre. We didn't know it was closed on Tuesdays. Darn
So, you know, we're all about flexibility (ask Cameron how good I am about that) so we headed to Versailles. This is a famous palace where monarchs lived lavishly and extravagantly while the pheasants were starving. We walked around the gardens first.

This crazy manicured tree looked so smooth. Don't be fooled, though. It's poky.

This is just a tiny part of the gardens. Tiny.

The grounds extended for at least a couple miles behind us.

Cameron eating his
jambone and
fromage baguette outside the palace. This dang sandwich was so
flippin' good. Please, tell me how you make a sandwich that contains only ham, cheese and bread, and tastes that good. No mayo, no
nothin'. I wish that someone who spoke English could have told me what kind of cheese that was.

This is a chapel inside the palace

And in almost every room, was some "art work" from Jeff
Coombs that was being featured at Versailles while we were there. Alright, is it just me, or does crazy modern art not really fit inside the room of an ornate 1600's palace? Pictured, is a sculpture of a lobster-shaped blow-up floating device that was hanging from the ceiling. We-
ird.

The famous Hall of Mirrors. Wow. Obviously the picture doesn't do it justice. It was breathtaking.
After our Versailles tour, we headed back to down-town Paris to see the Musee de l-Armee and Napoleon's tomb.

Napoleon's tomb was under that dome.
The next and final day we attempted to go the the most famous Paris flea market which was near our hotel. We got incredibly lost (not the first time on this trip) thanks to the poorly labeled streets and our awful sense of direction. We finally got there and were sorely disappointed. Lots of really overpriced Adidas jackets. We left that and went for more sites.

This is the Egyptian Obelisk, a tower that is the
oldest man-made object in Paris. This was near the place
de la Concorde which is where the guillotine, during the French Revolution, took place. This is were Marie Antoinette was be-headed.

This is
Notre-Dame. I don't think I've ever seen a building like this in my life. It was so intricately detailed, I couldn't believe my eyes.


Get it? The Hunchback of
Notre-Dame. We thought we were funny at least.


Crepes and sandwiches. This is what we lived on. Yum. I love french food.

I looked all over to find classic scenes of Paris which were harder to find than I thought. I thought this was pretty close.

Cameron and the Seine River

We ended up at the Louvre Wednesday night. This is the inverted glass pyramid right before you enter the museum.
After Cameron disappeared for awhile, he showed up with this.

After the never-ending walking and stair climbing, my knee was killing me and I had been limping for the last few hours. This is my pathetic look about how pathetic my body is. But, Cameron is brilliant because all my knee needed was a rest. I enjoyed the Louvre imensly while being pushed around the entire time.

A bunch of cool statues.

This one of the rooms of Napolean III's apartments inside the Louvre. I thought these rooms were every bit as extravagent as the rooms at Versaille. It's hard to believe that people actually lived this way and still do.

After the Louvre, we checked out the Eiffel tour at night. Definitely cooler at night.
We ended our trip with a walk up the Champs-Elysees, a really popular walk up to the Arc de Triomphe. It has lots of shopping and seemed to be the heart of Paris.
After almost missing our flight (2 hours at the airport was not enough by the time you figure out what terminal you are going out of since they don't label them, go through customs and about 3-4 other people looking at your passport and asking questions), we got on with no problem. In fact, the flight was so empty that we got first class. Oh baby. What an ending to a perfect trip. If I have complained about flying standby (I'm pretty sure I swore I'd never do it again after our miserable experience in February), I vow to never do it again. How lucky we are that we got to fly to Paris and finally live one of our dreams on a very tight budget! And, can I just say that first class on an international flight is real living. There's a reason they draw a curtain so that the miserable coach passengers can't see what's going on. I'm pretty sure we were involved in some kind of dance party with the flight attendants and captian.

And of course, it's time for my thank you's. First of all, a huge thank you to the sucker non-revs who left the gate a little too early and gave their seats to us. If you are reading, we really enjoyed your trip and NEVER EVER leave the gate until you see that plane moving.
To Katrina. My hero for the time being. With my kids, she had 6 total for nearly 5 days straight and did it without breaking a sweat. She's one of those people that just seems to have it all together and you don't know how. Thanks a ton. I can't wait for you guys to finally go on a vacation again. And, I will nag you to death about going, so start planning sister!
14 comments:
Oh Shannon, that sounds so amazing. Did you leave the day after bookclub? I loved all the photos, what an amazing trip and an amazingly nice sister!
What an exciting opportunity. I am so conservative and would want the entire thing planned out months in advance, but I think you had a lot more fun than I would ever because of the spontaneity, and flexibility. I loved the entire post, it didn't seem lengthy in the least, and boy you packed it all in to just a few days. Again, way fun. Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you.
I am so jealous. That sounds like such a fun adventure and I am dying to go to Paris. You will have to tell us more at next bookclub.
You guys are crazy! I am so entirely jealous. I love how you can just pack up and go somewhere. Good for you! We need to hang out again sometime. - cami
what an awesome adventure! fly by the seat of your pants, I LOVE IT!!!!
that trip looks like so much fun. european vacations are the best, there is just so much to see and do. glad you guys were able to go and have some time away from the kiddos, you do have an awesome sis to take them! (even though they are incredibly cute)
Shannon...I had no idea you went to Paris. That must've been so great for the two of you. Oh how I would love a get away with my hubby... I'm glad you had fun. We missed you in Park City though!
Next time take me. All of those places are just wonderful and you are making me itch to go again!! Your experience made me laugh and cry and oh by the way will fly 1st class-lying down sleeping on a bed on an airplane--what a lucky girl!! I'm going to call you so I can live through your experience. I really want to hear more about it.
what an amazing trip, i am so glad you got to go (i'm a little jealous). call us we would love to hang out sometime soon!
Look at you two the world travelers, it looks like you had a great time. I am ready for a vacation, yours looks like a great one to take.
What an exciting story. I was literally on the edge of my seat waiting to hear that you made the flight, then I realized I already knew that you did! It's a good thing because it looks like you guys had a blast. Beautiful pictures but I have to agree, the hanging lobster "art", it's gotta go!
Shannon-thats so awesome. I'm totally jealous! I really want to paint that picture of the classic french scene-you took some great pictures.
Wahoo!!! You guys are so stinkin' awesome. I love how adventurous you both are. Your pictures were fantastic. Looks like you had so much fun and made the most of your time there. I love Paris. I have been to most of the places that you went to. Such an amazing city. I love the rich history. I'm just so happy that you were able to experience it. How nice to go with the one that you love. I hope one day to go to France with Chris.
Oh my gosh! I am so jealous. I am dying to go to Paris too, especially when I heard they added that flight. Looks like you had a great time. What a fun thing!
Post a Comment