I just got called to be the relief society pianist. To some, this calling may be a cinch and perhaps a dream calling. But for me, the scariest calling I have had yet. I am not a piano player. I would like to be a piano player, but am not. I took lessons as a kid but gave it up. I started lessons a few years ago and gave it up again when I got pregnant with Kara. I have a basic knowledge and can barely plunk out Sweet Hour of Prayer as long as I'm in a room by myself.
It's just funny how fantastically timed this calling was. I started this new job last week and is probably the scariest new job I've ever had, therefore inducing plenty of stress in itself.
I guess I can only do this. If you are in my ward and are reading this and attend relief society, just bear with me and keep on singing even when I stop and can't get the notes right. I also wouldn't mind a quick prayer or two on my behalf, as I will be pleading and begging myself, that I will improve at a more-than-normal rapid pace and that this calling will soon not be the stress of my life.
Like my mom and several others have said, this should be good for me and I guess (it's hard to say it since I'm so terrified) I'm thankful for the opportunity to develop a talent I always wished I had.
I have butterflies in my stomach as I type this.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
When it rains, it pours
Posted by Shannon at 2:28 PM
Labels: church calling, Shannon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
Shannon, I would die if I was given this calling. Did they release you from scouts or do you get to do both? Good luck and I would keep singing if I was in Relief Society.
Shannon, I soooooo relate. I was recently called as choir director and could not be less qualified. Sure I sing a little and have been in many a choir, but how to lead a choir is just waaaaaay beyond my skill level. However, I will say, we sang in Sacrament meeting for the first time today and I didn't pass out, I didn't trip on my way up and I did remember to cut everyone off at the right time. Whew. I have definitely been blessed, but totally relate to your terror!
Are you kidding? Just thinking about it stresses me out. You will do great, too bad we moved or Josh could have given you piano lessons. Keep us posted on how it is going.
Shannon, no worries! Have YOU ever been mad about the pianist making mistakes? Probably not. Everyone makes mistakes....we are all human. If you don't play the songs perfectly, honestly, nobody will care. Plus, you'll be blessed. Having it as a calling will help you refresh your skills. Don't stress....it sounds like a great calling. What is your new job??
I would rather have R.S. Pianist over R.S. chorister. So what that I play the organ for sacrament meeting. I thought because of all my musical training it would be a sinch. Today was my first time and I hate being in front of everyone. I didn't know how to direct the end of one verse and go on to the next verse, with an up beat. Guess we are all developing our talents. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger I suppose. You'll do a great job. Just don't give up and have alot of enthusiasm. That's all that can be asked of you.
Ah, you will do great. You can always play the top hand only! Hopefully you'll have some advanced warning as to which songs you will be playing so you can get some practice. That would be a hard calling for me too! I promise to keep on singing through any mishaps that may occur. I also promise to not write a review in the local newspaper!
And let's not forget that little secret about our fabulous piano in that room... I'm not saying always let it play the hymns for you, but if there is one that is just not working out then you could let it do just that one.
And the piano faces the wall, so no one would be the wiser. Sandi even would do that once in a while just to have fun with it.
Kind of makes me wonder why there is such a piano in the R.S. room anyway.
Hang in there, you will be ok. What new job did you get?
you are going to do great! what a sport. i would totally keep singing for you but unfortunately i'm on planet primary.
Post a Comment