Monday, October 01, 2007

Our life in Fall of 2007


I haven't been able to think of anything real significant to post these days so I'll write about a bunch of randoms.

FIRST: Here's the latest project I've been working on. It's amazing how no job and no church calling frees up quite a bit of time.....

Yet another project I've been wanting to do since we moved into our house. It's so nice to be able to cross it off my list. Actually, I really love doing house projects, I don't think I'd be happy if there wasn't always one on the horizon. And have I mentioned how much I love bead board? Do you think it's too much to do it in every room? I suppose there's a chance I could eventually get sick of it.
SECOND: Colby has been singing this funny lullaby lately that I thought I'd share. The other night I was laying on Kara's floor trying to muster up the energy, or better yet.. courage, to begin the night-time routine. He started bringing me pillows and piling everything he could find on top of me including blankets, towels and plastic bags, all while singing the following song over and over-
Rock-a-bye baby
to the sun
we can build you there.
Rock-a-bye baby
to the sun
we can dry (drive?) you up.

I'm not sure what songs or lines he's combined together to create such a masterpiece, but it cracks me up every time he sings it.
THIRD: I just have to post a picture of Kara's spectacular pot-belly. I have no words to describe to you just how important food is to this little girl. Here are few examples.
1) This girl can hear someone unwrapping something (i.e. fruit snacks, package of crackers, sucker, etc.) from an abnormally long distance. Such as... four rows back in our painfully loud sacrament meeting, or all the way from her room upstairs to the kitchen downstairs. And then she comes running.

2) Food is the ONLY thing that will calm this girl down when she is really angry.
3) She can out-eat me. Anyone who knows me well, knows this is quite a feat. This doesn't happen all the time but enough that I am completely baffled when it does. I sometimes just stop feeding her because I think she's going to eventually throw it all up because there's no way it could all fit in her tummy.
4) Her favorite thing to do is to take cans of food out of the pantry, cart them to a different location, stack them, then cart them back. She doesn't stack Lego's, or blocks, just cans of food.



5) Watch out if she is hungry. And yes, she inherited this lovely trait from me. She is one mean chick if she hasn't eaten in a while. We will do everything in our power to prevent any hungry outbreaks.

6) This love of food is not a new occurrence. She drank 4 ounces of milk every 2-3 hours when she was only 3 days old, which steadily increased to as much as 7-8 ounces per feeding. I believe that it is typical for most newborns to eat maybe 1-2 ounces at a time.
7) I can't think of anymore, I just can't believe how much she eats.
So here is a picture of one of Kara's mini pot-bellies. And I'm not exaggerating about it being a mini. I caught a picture of the biggest belly I've ever seen on her while in the bath the other day and didn't think it was appropriate to post. I haven't been able to get a picture of one as big since. Seriously, you'll just have to take my word for it.


FOURTH: Cameron's mom took me and the kids to the circus the other day. It was a ton of fun and the kids loved it. Grandma even let them pick out a circus souvenir. Kara ended up with a stuffed elephant of which she became severely possessive of immediately, and Colby ended up with a pair of binoculars. I think Kara liked the circus even more than Colby. Next to food, animals is Kara's second love. Anytime any animals were out, she would clap, bounce, point and grunt with glee. That was fun. Thanks Grandma!
FIFTH: My mom and I have started a tradition of driving up Sardine Canyon in the fall to see the changing leaves and then have lunch in Logan. We were afraid we were a little late for the optimum leaf-changing period, but it ended up being just as beautiful as ever.


SIXTH: Whoa, this is turning out to be a lengthy post. I just wanted to add how much I love Cameron as a dad. He is just so dang cute with Kara, I can't stand it. She has turned into such a daddy's girl. She gets so excited to see him (in fact, she reacts the same way when he gets home as I described her reacting to the animals at the circus). I always thought Cameron had some animalistic tendencies....ha ha ha.


Thanks for sticking with me. The End.

7 comments:

Hydes said...

Hey cute Richins family this is Melissa Hyde. I love your blog it makes me laugh so hard. Your bathroom looks great I love the bead board. I love Kara's belly, we always laugh at how much you can eat and be so dang skinny (not fair). I love your blog!!!!
Melissa

The Nance Family said...

You and Cameron are always so ambitious with projects around the house, I've always loved bead board. It looks great in this bathroom and in your last bathroom. Your kids look well fed, I was never worried about that.

Lohra said...

I have a confession to make...and I know how much you appreciate comments... ;) Admittedly, I look at your blog--I'm a regular subscriber to "Colby's Quotations". So when you and and Stef were talking about Colby's lullaby I almost chimed in to make a comment until I realized that no one had told me that story...that, almost creepily, I had just read it on your blog, oops!

Shannon said...

Lorha, I wouldn't have thought twice if you'd have chimed in about Colby's lullaby because I'm pretty sure my blog is a super smash hit and I just assume everybody is reading it. Why don't we all just admit to stocking random blogs and just be okay with it? Oh yah and thanks for the comment- that makes 3 comments for this post. impressive

Lohra said...

Good point. I should have known you would be well aware of your large audience. Next time I won't hide my shame...or my closet blog-stalking tendencies.

Shannon said...

LOHRA- sorry for misspelling your name. Since you read my blog so much, I'm sure you're aware of my ever-increasing typoes and grammar mistakes. Don't tell anyone I'm a speech therapist.

Lohra said...

Don't be silly...and don't apologize. That's not actually how I spell my name. It's a Russian-based nickname from my not-so-Russian-based friends; and the "h" has always been a little transient.