Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ace of Cakes


Katrina registered me for a cake decorating class for Christmas this year and this is my first creation. The first week we learned how to level and frost a cake without getting crumbs or knife marks, and a few other things (I was obviously asleep the whole class evidenced by the plethora of crumbs and knife marks- I think the picture hides it well). This week we learned how to do stars, printing, dots and paper transfers. It's a fun class and I now know a few things to do and not to do.

1. DON'T wait until the day of to prepare the cake and frosting. The class isn't until the evening, and I thought I had plenty of time to complete these tasks among a few other things I needed to get done that day. Not so. After coming home to a frantic wife who he hadn't seen in nearly a week, Cameron so graciously went to the store for me to buy more shortening and then he actually made my icing for me while I was working. What a guy.

2. DON'T be stingy on the shortening when greasing the cake pan. Both my cakes completely stuck to the pans leaving huge chunks of cake behind and a less-than-pretty cake to have to decorate without knife marks and crumbs.
3. DO listen and take notes in class because your memory sucks and there's no way you can rely on it when it comes time to perform.
4. DO eat before class so that the edge will be taken off your sour mood.

5. DO consult your husband about how to rig up a turn table (a must have!) to decorate your cake because your too cheap to buy a real one. I'll just say that those spice racks do more than store spices. What a delightful invention.
6. DO watch more Ace of Cakes. What a cool show.

7 comments:

Shauna said...

Very cute cake. Maybe a cake at next bookclub?

Emily said...

good job! i've tried many times to create cute cakes for my kids and i have FAILED every time. i need some tips! K? thanks!

Barnes said...

I love Ace of Cakes...I need some pointers now you can do a cake decorating class for all of us?!! I have the stuff just need someone to teach me. Way to go!!

Shill and Company said...

Wow, that is so pretty. I am impressed!

Andrea W. said...

So Pretty!!

Kurt and Tami said...

My boys birthdays are coming up in March. Now I know who to talk to about doing their cakes! Let's talk.

melissa said...

So cute shannon! I had no idea that you were such a genius cake maker! I will have to get some of your tips!