I've had this thought lately about the blogosphere and am wondering if anyone else feels the same way. As I have consistently been blogging for the last few months, I also seem to get more addicted to reading other's blogs. I love that I get to feel updated on the few of my friends and family who also participate in this electronic communication. Which brings me to my current thought. Since I've been regularly checking blogs, I have made less of an effort to appropriately socialize or "check in" with those friends and family whether it be a phone call or in person when possible. I've never been very good at keeping in touch in the first place, but since blogging, I have been worse. I also have never been a huge fan of the phone since I don't think before I speak very well. Thus the beauty of the internet- email and blogging. I get to check my writing (though I continue to leave typos) and delete the dumb things I say that, on the phone or in person, I end up saying and wish I could take back. And for my friends and family that don't blog, I'm always trying to convice them to start. Is this so that I get to stop calling them, thus furthering my social awkwardness? I've often thought how text messaging is revolutionizing the dating world for teenagers, but in a negative way. Shy girls become forward when it's just texting. Shy girls should just remain shy girls in my opinion. I've had several young women say, " I love texting because I get to say things to boys that I'd never say in person." Is that a good thing? I don't think so. Teens already have plenty of means of getting in trouble without the use of a piece of technology that can temporarily alter their personality. Anyways, does anybody else think this mode of communication may be potentially harmful to our socialization? Will our kids become accustomed to communicating electronically and lack the proper social communication when it becomes necessary? Will society eventually become a bunch of socially awkward people when placed face-to-face? Or is it okay that we may portray someone who is a little or a lot different than we may be in person? Is it okay if electronic socialization is our primary means of connecting with other people? Is anyone else less likely to keep in touch by phone or in person since you've begun blogging? Just curious.
P.S. Seriously, I know there aren't a whole lot of people who read my blog, but if you do and you haven't voted about cutting Colby's curls, please do. I really need to know if my son emits a feminine quality about himself by sporting some curls around his ears. I can take the truth if the truth is the truth.
Sunday, September 02, 2007
Does Blogging Impede Socialization?
Posted by Shannon at 9:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
shan I love you and miss you. I love that reading your blog is like talking to you b/c it sounds just like you! But I do miss talking to you! I voted for the curls a few days ago.. must admit I am loving them on him- dang cute... and did I mention that I will be living in SLC from mid Jan- mid March?!!! Uhhh my kids might die of hypothermia while we are there, but if not, can't wait to see you! molls
I agree with the awkwardization of our society through electronic means. Take me, for example: I've started using words like awkwardization.
I weep for the future.
And I'm split: I like Colby's hair both ways.
Post a Comment