Please take the time to read the Colby quotes. Any parenting advice would be greatly appreciated right about now.
Friday, March 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Please take the time to read the Colby quotes. Any parenting advice would be greatly appreciated right about now.
4 comments:
Is this one of the qualities he inherited from his mother? :) I have no advice anymore, but I can recommend a book that I read a long time ago and loved and am currently re-reading so that I won't devolve into a crazed yelling maniac. It's called "Christlike Parenting" by Glen Latham. Great stuff.
Oh wow, Shan. What a little monkey. I certainly don't know what "typical" three-year-old behavior is, but I'm guessing that this is pretty typical. I know that doesn't make handling it any easier, though. Wish I had some good advice for you. The only thing I can offer is a chance to drop him off for a play date at our house ANY TIME you want. Honestly. We'd love to have him and Ryan would be in heaven!
Kids say the darndest things, don't they? Cute little sucker.
Did I ever tell you about the time I babysat Andrew when he was a toddler? He started grabbing large handfuls of my flesh and twisting it...otherwise known as pinching. But this was serious, violent pinching, and I still have nightmares about the gleam in those bright blue eyes while he ripped my skin off. I thought I was being attacked by pirahnas. So when a stern voice and time out wouldn't work, like any good babysitter I locked myself in the bathroom and handed over control of the house to the little demon. Yes, you read correctly--I locked MYSELF in the bathroom. And cried. Turns out I was only about 9.
Not that that story helps....but I try to relate in any way I can :)
I have a 14, 11, 7 and 3 yr old in my house. There will always be people that tell you it will get better. The truth is, each one of these little people is so different! They change constantly so you have just figured out how to work with them and they go and change!
My 7 yr old is still giving me fits!
So, the only real advice that I can give you is to try and remain calm. Don't listen to the other Mom's that have "perfect" little children. They will get their turn! Some little ones are wild little indians at 2-5 and then there are those that are so mellow that you have to light a fire under them to move. Be grateful for the first! Just remember to take breaks.
When my two oldest were little I often got frazzled. I learned to never take them to the grocery store, I became that crazy lady we have all seen. Shopping in the middle of the night is worth it! Also, when they are really wound up go somewhere else. Go to a friends house, McDonald's playland, the park. Get you and them out of the norm. It sometimes breaks the pattern. Sometimes just putting them in the car and going for a drive.
Good luck!
Post a Comment