Friday, May 29, 2009

to cut or not to cut

I've considered cutting off Ty's mohawk after I looked at the picture of him in the bumbo chair and his mohawk blends into the background. Hmmm. He may be just a little cuter without it. I've even discussed this with a few people, but it somehow doesn't seem right to cut my tiny little infant's hair. So I did a little photoshopping so we could take a closer look at what he would look like.

Mohawk Ty



Bald Ty
(obviously my photoshop skills are less than perfect, but I think you get the gist of it)



As you can see, he looks a little less like a Native American (is that the politically correct term these days? So sorry if it isn't and I just offended someone and not that Native American's aren't cute, it's just that he isn't one). But really, every time I see pictures of him with the mohawk, I have this urge to strap a feathered headband to his head. I know it's just hair, but the lack of mohawk just seems SO NOT HIM.
It made me think about if I removed my, um...uh....mole. (I feel really weird calling it a mole. I've always called it a birth mark my entire life and when I do, people look at me like I'm an idiot for calling my mole a birthmark- somehow it's just seems more natural and like I couldn't control it in any way- you know, because I was born with it,as if you can control whether you have a mole either. I'm done trying to explain myself since it's obviously not working). Anyway. Here's me.



And here's me without the....mole.



kinda crazy, isn't it? It's just not me, right? Or is it.... I guess you could say that about nearly anything. I've been begging Cameron to agree to let me get braces. (Thanks to the blurriness of this picture, you can't really tell that I have crooked teeth. While I recognize that they could be much, much worse, I do have a few snaggle teeth, mostly on the bottom that I've always been very self conscious of and I promise I'm not trying to fish for compliments). He has finally agreed (upon certain conditions), but maybe I wouldn't be me with really straight teeth...
What do you think? Should I cut Ty's hair? Would it change who his little self is or am I over thinking this? I'm really not that worried about it, I'm just curious. And on a less superficial level, do you think things oughta be left the way they are to preserve our true selves? What's the difference between braces and a chest enhancement (I didn't use the obvious term for fear this blog would come up on somebody's search)? Where do we draw the line or is there a line at all? Do we try to "fix" our kids? What would you do if your child had a really bad nose? Would you support a nose job? I learned in graduate school that it is a really easy and painless procedure to pin back a kid's ears that really stick out and when I learned that, I always thought I'd let my kid do that if they wanted to. Well guess what. I have a kid with ears that really poke out. But, again, it's him. But then again, the thought of him getting teased about it breaks my heart. I know there are a million things we'd all change about ourselves but what's okay to change, and what's not?
Your thoughts?
I think I could ramble on about this forever.

10 comments:

Karla said...

I don't think you should cut off the mohawk. One day when he's older you'll be looking at pictures with him - one day he has a mohawk and the next day he doesn't. "Mom, why don't I have a mohawk anymore?" What do you tell him, "I thought you would be a cuter baby without it." I don't know, it seems too much like Ty himself to get rid of it, I guess?

I guess at some point he will have to get his hair cut, though, won't he. Otherwise, maybe you should have named him Samson. Okay, enough rambling for me, too. :)

Jen said...

It's hard for me to say, but I think I'd cut it. You'll have to anyway because it won't grow at the same rate. So why not now? That's what I figure. Lately I've considered having my mole taken off. It's Amelia that is very adamant about me not doing it. I think you look like you either way. I'll bet not many people would notice right off. When you have braces and then you get them taken off, people can't put their finger on what's different. They ask if you got your hair cut. I figure it's whatever makes you feel best. To brace or ont to brace...I think your teeth are just fine. But sometimes crooked teeth are harder to keep clean, therefore it becomes hygiene issue as well. Although there is alot said for self confidence. All tough decisions. I just figure that someday I'll have a perfect body and that I just can't worry about all the imperfections. Then try to set my priorities. You'll have to do the same for you and your kids. Good luck with that one! (I think I rival you in rambling.)

Jen said...

Sorry...I have more to ramble about. Is your hair really that long right now or is it an older pix? I think Ty is a darling baby. He's definitely a Richins. About sticky outy ears. I have one with them. I sometimes want to get them tacked. But look at Michael Phelps! Gpa! It's really cute when they're little. You can make the decision when they get older. Then they can help you. That's what I've decided. If it really becomes a sore spot and detrimental to their self esteem. Ok, I'm done...for now. :)

Andrea W. said...

Shannon you are funny. I love that you photoshopped you and Ty's photos. I have to say I kind of love his cute crazy hair. I totally relate to what you're saying too because my little Nate had a skin tag, basically a little wiggly extra thing of skin that stuck out a little right by his ear. I was really torn as to whether or not to have it removed. We finally did when he was 6 months. I still kind of miss it.

Stef Star said...

Don't cut Mr. T's hair until it becomes a come-over issue. Please. My daddy be so mad.

Now for the real issues: chest enhancements...or dehancements. (Somehow I feel authorized to talk about this.) There's a difference between being teased for some little quirk and being consumed by a physical problem, in my opinion. I have always thought it would be so strange if you removed your birthmark, but of course to me that's part of you. But if you were teased relentlessly and couldn't function socially because of it, wouldn't you have gotten it removed? I dunno. Self image is important, but it's also relative because there are many things that distort what our self image should be. Pokey ears, moles, whatever...it all depends on how detrimental it is to an individual's development. And crooked teeth? I say go for it. It sucks to be self-conscious about your smile (thought your teeth really aren't as bad as you think.)

If you start wanting all sorts of botox and nose jobs and lipo and weird things for your really really cute kids, then maybe we might have to have this conversation again.

Whoa long.

Anonymous said...

You might pull a Matt and shave his head hoping it will grow in differently. Seriously, leave it alone. He is darling and unique and we love him just as he is. Same for you, although I agree with Jen about the hygiene deal for most crowded teeth, but not yours. Sorry we didn't drag you to the orthodontist in high school.
Mom

Emily said...

geeze, lots of opinions here.
trim the hawk, keep the mole.

The Ratchford Family said...

I know you already know my opinion on the hair. Trim it off!!!! He is darling either way if you do decide to keep it. And the mole if you like it keep it. If it bothers you get it taken off. I have come to a point as an adult that I am done being self consious about anything. If there is an easy fix without much risk why not do it. So get the braces. We all deserve to be comfortable in our skin after all these years of life don't you think.

Amber said...

I think you should keep the mohawk. Maybe a tiny trim but there are parents of bald babies out there that would be thrilled with that little patch of hair. And when else in his life can he get away with such a style?

As far as the birthmark/mole goes, that is up to you. I really don't think people would notice as much as you think. If you don't like it, why not remove it? Either way, you look great.

Now for the braces, I'm sure you remember my brace face days in grad school. I will be honest, they are very painful at times, they can take the enjoyment out of a beautiful meal which can be really annoying, but when you get them off and realize you will have straight teeth for the rest of your life you'll wonder why you waited so long!

One last thing, can I email you some of my pics and have you photoshop them up for me? Take off a few pounds, shape my eyebrows real nice and airbrush my blotchy skin?

Amber said...

Oh, and I have a cousin that had her ears 'tucked back'. I'm sure she's so glad her parents did it for her!!